Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Lesson Learned - 7/2/12

Today's lesson isn't about BIR. It's more of a personal life lesson, or more accurately a lesson I'm trying to teach myself. BIR happens in my life, though, so it's really not that far off point, is it?

I returned on Sunday from a vacation with my fiance out west. While there we stopped in San Francisco for a couple of days, and during that time we went around the city with a friend of hers who I'll call Tori, because that's her name. My interaction with Tori had been limited in the four years that Steph and I have been together, mostly because she moved out to Florida shortly after we started dating, and then on to San Francisco. In the brief time I'd spent around her, though, I'd rather presumptuously formed an opinion of her that she was prone to flights of fancy and maybe even a bit self-absorbed. I guess I saw that she's the kind of person who does what feels right and what she wants to do, and I interpreted that as being inconsiderate. Of course, I was wrong about that, which became pretty plainly evident in the few hours we spent with her in San Francisco. I should have been more self-aware and realized before then that it was ridiculous of me to form a critical opinion of her with so little time spent together.

Beyond that, though, I realized that Tori had an important lesson to teach me. Beyond doing what is good for her, she seems to be uniquely at peace with others doing whatever is best for them. She sees people doing things that I might internalize and get upset over – little things, mostly – and just doesn't seem to care. Not that she's indifferent in a bad way, but the attitude she exudes is one of “you're doing what you do, and that is of no consequence to me.” Whereas I get angry when a person fails to use a turn signal, or drives by my apartment with their music too loud, or uses profanity in public, people like Tori see those same things and it doesn't even seem to register on their radar. Perhaps that's because she's so driven and focused on whatever thing she is doing in that moment that she doesn't have time to notice. Perhaps it's because she just knows how not to take things personally, especially when those things have nothing to do with her. I tend to have the opposite problem.

One could take Tori's lesson of acceptance to an extreme and not ever hold others responsible for their actions, but I can't see that type of indifference in her. One must be able to distinguish when the actions of a person directly affect us (or affect others) in an immediate and negative way, and when the actions of a person have no consequence. If they have no direct personal consequence, then there needs to be some other reason to intervene. Maybe to speak up on another's behalf, for instance. The point is to not take someone else's actions as a direct affront or sign of disrespect when they clearly arent't. That's something I've been guilty of a lot in the past.

Even when another's actions do directly affect me, there is a line to be drawn when holding someone responsible can serve a purpose (see 7/10 post), and when the effort of holding them responsible for something minute is greater than the impact one could hope to have by doing so. In other words, you need to pick your battles. And sometimes you need to not concern yourself with what others are doing, because if you got angry at everyone who you ever saw commit a wrong or break the rules, you'd either go hoarse or have a heart attack. It's a nuanced thing, knowing when to get upset and when not to, but I think a good rule is to remain calm and let things go more often than you get get to you, and save your energies for when you may actually need them.

Worry more about living your own life than about how others live theirs – that may be the best way to summarize what Tori taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment