Monday, November 21, 2011

The instrument...


is a Loree english horn. When I first got it I noticed that the serial number starts with SS, which is strange because it doesn't fit anything in that company's current numbering system. As of 2009 they'd only reached RH. I emailed Loree to find out if they could shed any light on the instrument's age, and got a surprisingly quick response that it was made in 1925. Other things created in 1925 include The Great Gatsby, Mount Rushmore, and Paul Newman. When this instrument is finished, I imagine it will probably be on part, artistically, with those three. The only other record I've seen of a Loree english horn that old was another instrument made that same year by Lucien Loree himself. Does that mean that he made my instrument as well? I couldn't say for certain, but I'd like to think it's possible, and I plan to proceed with a level of caution that assumes that possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment