Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lesson Learned - 6/20/13

Yesterday I used La Tromba slide/cork grease for the first time. It's great stuff! Thick without being greasy, it required only a little bit to lubricate a slide, stuck well to the inner tubes, and was easy to clean up. 

I also did a little personal refresher on burnishing scratches in silver, after reading a post on facebook advocating the practice as a finishing step in repairing brass instruments. I spent about 20 minutes buffing my hand burnisher to get it smooth, then about 10 minutes burnishing a scratch in a trumpet bell, with very nice results. The scratch (which was small to being with) completely disappeared, and after buffing the area to clean up my fingerprints, it looked great. I need a lot more practice at burnishing to get good at it, but I'm glad to have that technique back in my arsenal. It's amazing how I forget things I learned not that long ago when the skills go unused. Writing about these experiences helps keep them in the forefront of my mind, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment