Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lesson Learned - 8/14/12

On a saxophone today, I had a G key where the articulation arm that opens and closes the octave key was crashing into the high E key hinge tube. In fact the collision was so serious that it was preventing the G key from closing. When the articulation arm hit the E key, the G key was still about 1/4" from closing. My first though was "This is a crappy off-brand instrument, and I can't believe anyone was even using it. This kid must stand around on the marching band field and pretend to play." It really is a crappy off-brand instrument, but I couldn't even fathom the inoperability of it. I set the thing down to come up with a game plan while I worked on something else, and only later did I notice a huge dent under the rib that supports the upper G and high E key posts. "Of course!" I thought. The reason the instrument is in the shop is that it was dropped. The customer only asked to have the Low C key guard straightened and reattached (which was imperative, because it was nearly flattened). Foolishly I just went ahead and did that, then started making some minor adjustments to the instrument when I first came across the problem with the G key. Have I not told myself numerous times before that when the customer asks for a specific job, I should always fully inspect the instrument before starting? And I am doubly guilty because I knew the instrument had been dropped, and didn't even bother to consider that it probably sustained more damage than a busted up keyguard (although to be fair, it looks like the key guard took the brunt of the force. It was really busted up). Dropped instruments should receive extra-thorough inspections before starting work.
Alas, maybe I'll learn someday.

On another note, here's a story that APM's Marketplace program did on instrument repairs in New Orleans: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/new-orleans-musician-finds-niche-instrument-repair

No comments:

Post a Comment